Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Back to earth

Nothing like having young kids to bring things into focus for you.

Friday wasn't a great day for me. Watching my house empty out, I spent far too much time wandering from room to room, noticing the little things I always meant to do but never got around to, scribbling our names in little nooks and crannies of closets and the attic, and generally being far too sentimental for my own good. Sandra (our much missed tenant and de facto member of the family) didn't make things any easier by coming home early and engaging me in yet another round of reminiscing. After I put the keys on the counter and closed the back door for the last time, I was in what would be charitably called a "major funk" and arrived at the hotel convinced that it wouldn't wear off for days.

The first thing Ellie said upon my arrival was, "Daddy, tomorrow, are we going to Minnesota?!"(followed by "Can we go in the pool?!")

It put me in mind of the excitement I felt when my family moved to Chandler St. from the Bossi's house on Chetwynd Rd. I had no inclination toward sentimentality then -- I was far too excited about the future, what was to come, to dwell on what would be no more. At such a young age, I had no appreciation for what it takes to make a house into a home, nor for the relationships that can be forged (if you're extremely lucky) within the two-family structure. And why would I? I was 8.

My mother tells me how tough it was to leave after 7+ years living in the Bossi house. Both of my parents had grown close to the family and always considered themselves extremely fortunate to have fallen into such a positive tenant-landlord arrangement. Now I have an idea of how she felt, and I think the sadness isn't so much regret about moving on as much as it is sincere gratitude for the chapter that is ending.

So now my 4-year old daughter throws cold water in my face (literally as well as figuratively, for the pool at the Embassy Suites was on the chilly side) and snaps me back to reality -- this IS indeed about our future, so the sooner I start focusing on that, the better.

1 comment:

Sandra said...

Leave it to Ellie to put things back in perspective! That's my little girlfriend. Friday was not great for us either - empty yard, no disc swing and the silence that deafened me all night long (and is still doing so!)
Kim gave us an update in her last e-mail and sounds like you are all doing your best to settle into a temporary home. Only a few more weeks before you can really settle in and make your new home a safe and comfortable place for your family! Those words you wrote were kind, very kind and I'm appreciative and so fortunate that our paths crossed over this past 5 years. I'm eternally grateful. Kiss the girls - all 3 of them and we'll talk soon!
Sandra