Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Final night on Pleasant Street

May 16, 2007 -- The past two months has been a whirlwind for us, from the interview and the house hunting trip to selling our Massachusetts home, coordinating and finalizing the moving plans, and saying our goodbyes to friends and family. Now, on the last night in our home of the past 6 years, I'm starting this blog as a record of our new adventure.

When I returned to Boston in 1994 after 9 years in Indiana, I told my family, "This is it -- this time it's for good." But the funny thing is, fate and fortune aren't tied to a specific place. You go where they take you, lest you regret not seizing an opportunity when it presents itself.

And so it is that Kim, Ellie, Maggie and I are venturing from our roots to see what's doin' in the Gopher State.

Understandably, we're walking the inevitable tightrope between excitement and sentimentality. Family is the strongest tie that binds, and leaving our parents, siblings, nieces, nephews and cousins is the hardest part of relocating. At the same time, moving halfway across the country isn't what it was 15-20 year ago -- cell phones, email, and the video-capable web have made the world a smaller place and promise to take much of the sting out of moving away from those we love.

And, hopefully, this blog will be a big part of it -- especially in the beginning.

Entries will be scattered until we're fully computer accessible and established in our new home, so your patience is appreciated. We should have plenty of photos and details along the way, so we hope you'll check in often.

Minnesota, here we come.

3 comments:

sabrina said...

Your post reminds me of the night you helped us move from our first home to our current home. I hope you have as many wonderful times in Minneapolis as we've had on Creekside Lane! And for the record, my dream for years was to move to Minneapolis and live in that apartment where Mary Richards lived ;)

Looking forward to watching your progress!

Sabrina

Sandra said...

Well our 1st night at 207 Pleasant Street without you guys and the quiet is deafening and quite frankly eerie. I have to say I don't like it one bit! It's 6:30 am and no pitter patter of little feet above my head this morning and that makes me sad. Ellie and Maggie were like 2 little human alarm clocks! The disc swing is gone and no giggling outside the Dining Room Window. I hope that swing finds a nice tree in your new home. Of course Vinny noticed that 1st when we drove up today. (Paul just like I said)! Vinny was really sad last night and kept saying how much he missed you already. Oh well, you're probably at the airport getting ready for your flight to what lies ahead. Take good care and thanks for taking us on this ride for the past 5 years, it's been FANTASTIC!!!!
Much love and friendship,
Sandra & Vinny

Lynne said...

Minnesota is the Gopher state? Is that after the animal or the bursar from The Love Boat? I'd rather live in the Isaac state.