So I'm talking to Dottie on the phone the other night, about nothing in particular, when I venture over to the window that looks out into the narrow patch between our house and the fence of the house next door (I'm in the sunken half of the house, so the ground outside comes up to about chest high on me).
And what's lying there looking up at me? Dead rabbit. On it's side, eyes open, little front legs looking as though he dropped dead in mid stride.
Odd, I thought. There are no live wires around for him to have stumbled upon, and he certainly didn't fall off the roof. Oh well, it doesn't really matter what happened -- I've got to get it out of there before the girls see it and Kim has a panic attack that there's a dead animal on the property.
So I go outside with shovel and trash bag in hand, stand over the critter -- and suddenly notice that his left hind leg is missing. And it's not just missing -- the entire hind quarter, up to the small of the back, appears to have been purposefully cut away. Then I finally notice the leg, lying about 10 inches away from the rabbit's head, on the opposite end from where the hind quarter is.
I've run a hundred possible scenarios though my mind and nothing makes any sense. Either we've got Pheobe Buffay's cop boyfriend in the neighborhood -- someone who lies in bed or in a hammock, pistol in hand, waiting to shoot any bird or woodland creature that comes into view, or we've got a voodoo witch doctor living nearby who's trying to tell us something.
ANSWER -- I was thinking specifically of telephone/electric poles, but streetlights also work (there are hydrants nearby). I actually made a point to look around on my way to work (a 15-mile trip, though most of it is on the highway), and found only one or two areas where there were poles to be seen. Makes me wonder what visitors to greater Boston neighborhoods think of all of that wood and wire cluttering up the view.
Friday, June 29, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Creepy.
Post a Comment