Sunday was our warmest day yet here, and the sun was particularly strong. Historically, it just the type of day we would have packed up and went to "Nana & Grampy's beach" until 6pm, so after finishing breakfast, my mind immediately flipped to the trying to find a place to take the girls swimming.
Fortunately, a quick look on the Burnsville web site turned up Crystal Lake Beach (about 3 miles away), so I decided to give it a try. As I suspected, it was very much like Sandy Beach on the Mystic Lakes in Medford -- big parking lot, a roped off area for swimming, a bath house, and picnic tables in the shade. The main differences were no life guard on duty and a lot of speedboats and jet skis further out on the lake.
The girls liked it well enough, and of course I couldn't help comparing it to afternoons with the cousins on White Horse. But I have fond connections with Sandy Beach as well -- that's where my Nana & Grampy met, and to this day, I can recall the summer of 1984 and how fantastic it was to pull over on my way home to take a plunge after a long day of unloading tractor trailers at the Marshall's warehouse in Woburn -- so that took care of some of the home sentimentality.
But get this -- as I was sitting on the beach watching the girls, I looked out over the lake and saw, looming over the far side, Burnsville's Buck Hill ski area, and I couldn't help but think of one of Boston's major tourism selling points -- "skiing and swimming, all within an easy drive."
Apparently, our surroundings haven't changed as much as one would think.
Monday, June 11, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
How fun does that Buck Hill look? The tubing would be a blast for the girls. So you have sun and sand, and snow withing 3 miles of your home. Seems like the only thing missing for a perfect setting is the rest of the family!!!! We might have to visit for the tubing! Looks like so much fun.
Post a Comment