For anyone back home who might be wondering where all of those Dairy Queens from years gone by, I have the answer: all of them, and many more, can be found in the Twin Cities area. Kim says she's noticed more of them than McDonalds or Burger Kings, and I don't think she's too far off.
When we came out here for my interview, I knew that my second order of business was to introduce her to the DQ Blizzard, which she'd never had before. True to my prediction, she loved it and immediately vowed to try every flavor if we relocated.
Still, my first instinct is always to try out the non-chain, so when ice cream beckoned after dinner the other night, I suggested we try a smaller, independent shop I'd noticed when we were house-hunting (plus, I always favor hard ice cream over soft if given a choice). I'm not sure what exactly was the worst part of the experience -- no chocolate whatsoever for the girls, no sundae offerings for Kim, or the fly at the bottom of my key lime sorbet. But, long story short, we ended up making 2 ice cream stops that night, much to the delight of the Doncaster women.
There are two other establishments that Kim has noted as must-trys: Coldstone Creamery and Culver's (frozen custard, as opposed to ice cream). Regardless, I've been told that I won't be picking the dessert stops from here on out.
Voodoo Rabbit Update -- Upon closer inspection of the chain-link fence near where I found the poor little guy, I now believe that he caught his leg trying to get under the fence and either ripped it off or gnawed it off. Not that is makes much difference to him (who's lying double-bagged in our trash receptacle for pick-up tomorrow morning), but it certainly eases my mind a bit.
Monday, July 2, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Don't bother with Cold Stone Creamery. Because their ice cream is stored around soft-serve temperature but has the butterfat content of premium ice cream, it freezes inconsistently and has the mouthfeel of Crisco. I think they also use Polysorbate-60 as an emulsifier, which is the main ingredient in Astroglide. (Aren't you glad I told you that?)They're also suspiciously Crisco-flavored.
Dairy Queen, however - Dairy Queen is amazing. It's rare in the Northeast, but I get it whenever I can find it.
I understand the Mall of America has a stand that serves deep-fried cheesecake. Please try that and tell me how it is.
Lynne:
The deep fried cheesecake is next on my list! I know at the Minnesota State Fair they serve deep fried Snickers and Milky Way bars. Can't wait for that!
I have tried deep-fried Snickers. It made me reconsider my life. In a good way.
Post a Comment